Union Vale Fire Chief Bill Griffin, along with UVFD president John Welsh, presents a check for $1000 to Bruno Da Silva (center) of Dover Plains who suffered extensive fire damage to his home on Jan. 5, 2012 due to an electrical malfunction.
Da Silva said his wife awoke to the smell of smoke. They gathered their three children (ages 6, 5, and 6 months), evacuated the house and called 911.
Dover responded with two engines, one ladder truck, and one ambulance; Union Vale, under pre-planned Mutual Aid, responded with two engines, one tanker and one ambulance; Wassaic responded with one tanker and Millbrook responded with one tanker. There were approximately 50 responders on the scene.
“It was surreal,” said Da Silva, who is a local landscaper. “I was astounded how quickly they (the volunteers) came considering the time of night.” The fire was called in at 3:36 a.m.
Chief Griffin said, “When we arrived there was heavy smoke coming from the kitchen area.” He added that he could barely see through the thick smoke once he entered the residence. The fire companies extinguished the fire and set up fans to blow the smoke out.
Da Silva sincerely thanks all who responded. “I give much merit to the men and women given the extreme weather conditions. We are very humbled with the generosity of the community.”
No one was injured in the blaze said Chief Griffin.